Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dating a Cool Kid + Other Ramblings.


I’ve always wanted to date a cool kid. For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to date a cool kid. 
My idea of a cool kid? Those people who hang out/work at coffee shops. Similar to Taylor the Latte Boy [click here to listen]. The facial hair, tight [but not too tight] jeans, plaid, scarves, Toms, etc....
Even more than wanting to date one, I wanted to be one. I wanted to be that girl who hangs out in coffee shops with friends who are dressed way too cool for me. You know, the dresses, the sweaters, the layers, the leggings, the boots, the Toms, the hair … the stereotypical coffee shop baristas + dwellers.
I have a friend who I put into this stereotype. It’s really not a bad thing. In fact, she may hate me for placing her in this category. She knows how much I love her. I once told her that without the World Race, I would have never talked to her. She was way too cool for me. She looked like one of those girls who I wanted to hang out with but would never actually talk to. PTL for the World Race. She is now such a dear friend.
This time last year, I was in Thailand – my absolute favorite country on the World Race. In fact, I often ask God why I am in America right now when I could easily be in Thailand. Many people who knew my life in Thailand last year are surprised I am not there today…
I have big dreams about the cities of America. Papa has placed HUGE desires in my heart. He has promised me so much. It’s hard. It hurts. I want to GO now. BUT I know that He’s not ready for me to go now.
This weekend it hit me… I am YOUNG. I guess with the responsibility I have in my current job, the fact that I had a lifetime’s worth of experience in just 11 short months, and my inability to comprehend age + what that even means, I have forgotten that I am young.
The things the Lord has promised me, coupled with my deepest desire to serve Him, I am just not prepared for. I am just a baby. He wants me to see things first. He wants me to learn more first. THEN I will get what has been promised to me.
Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know I am God.”
I’ve heard/read it a few trillion times. Each time, the Lord teaches me something new. This time around?
Be still – stay where you are. Do not be anxious about leaving so soon. I have you right where I want you.
Know I am God – I do not break my promises. Have I promised you good things? You will receive good things. Have I promised to fulfill your big dreams? You will see the fulfillment of those when I want you to see it.
Long term plans:
1)      Make my way back to Thailand.
2)      Win back the cities of America.
3)      Marry a cool kid.
Oh. + I get to spend next summer in Australia leading a team of 5 phenom college students. More about that to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment